"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wild life are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people...The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." -Franklin Roosevelt
In the 1930's, as part of the New Deal efforts to put artists to work, our government commissioned posters to showcase the country's most stunning natural features under the banner: "See America." These iconic images put thousands of artists to work, helped link our natural landscape with our American identity, and live on nearly 100 years later as celebrated works of art. But there are hundreds more parks deserving of beautiful artwork to bring the great outdoors and our country's history to a new generation. That's why we're launching a crowdsourced campaign seeking new "See America" posters highlighting the beauty of our natural landscape and historic sites in all 50 states.
Contribute a design depicting your favorite park or natural landmark, the list below should get you started but is only a jumping off point - any landmark, monument or preserved area on the local, state, or federal level are acceptable! "See America" is a project of The Creative Action Network, in partnership with the National Parks Conservation Association, and Posters For The People. Exhibitions are being planned across the country.
Proceeds from this campaign support National Parks Conservation Association, the independent, nonpartisan voice working to strengthen and protect our nation’s natural, historical, and cultural heritage.
Your Design Should:
- Illustrate a treasured space (ie. local, state and federal parks, landmarks, trails, etc.) in the 50 states and US Territories
- Prominently say "See America"
- Less prominently include the name of the illustrated park or landmark
- Take inspiration from, but not be limited by the original See America posters
- Be a vertically oriented, 12" by 16" RGB image at a resolution of 300dpi (3600 by 4800 pixels) that is a JPG or PNG
- Be full bleed (no margins or borders)
- Keep a safe area of at least 1" on all sides (do not place text too close to the edge)
- Optional: Include an apparel file that is layered or includes a transparent background (AI, PSD, PNG, TIFF) (Be sure to outline any fonts used)
Your Design Shouldn’t:
- Include urls or logos (small artist signatures are fine)
- Use copyrighted images or images that don't belong to you. All images you use should be your own, or available under a creative commons or other similar license.