The world is bristling with more than 15,000 nuclear weapons - thousands of which are locked and loaded, ready to fire at a moment's notice. The risk that these weapons of mass destruction will be used is rising and the consequences are greater than ever. The only way to prevent a nuclear catastrophe is to secure all nuclear materials and eliminate all nuclear weapons: "global zero."
We're all familiar with the traditional imagery of the anti-nuke movement, much of it developed during the counterculture movements of the 1960s and 70s. Doves, peace signs, sunflowers, mushroom clouds and other cliched images from that period served a valuable purpose then, but they're not working today. It's time for a fresh start. The movement needs a new, forward-looking approach to communicating the urgent truth about the global nuclear threat--and the promise of a world without nuclear weapons--to a new generation of grassroots activists around the world. That's where you come in.
We've partnered with Global Zero, the international movement for the elimination of all nuclear weapons, to take on this challenge, and build a new collection of designs for the anti-nuke movement. We're inviting artists and designers around the world (especially those from key nuclear-armed states, including China, France, India, Israel, Pakistan, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States) to contribute designs illustrating the number zero and the goal of a future free of nuclear weapons.
Everything is on the line. Our actions and attitudes today will determine whether we usher in a future free from nuclear weapons--or one in which they are used again, to devastating and irreparable effect. Proceeds from this campaign support Global Zero, the international movement for the elimination of nuclear weapons.
Your Design Should:
- Typographically illustrate the number or word zero and evoke the global grassroots movement working towards a future free of nuclear weapons
- Include one of the following slogans: Global Zero, Demand Zero, We Stop at Zero, A World Without Nuclear Weapons, Vote Zero
- Be urgent, bold, nonpartisan, forward-looking, positive
- Be a vertically oriented, 12" by 16" RGB image at 300dpi (3600 by 4800 pixels) that is a JPG or PNG
- Use up to 3 colors
- Be free-standing (ie. design should have a simple background and shouldn’t touch the edge of the frame)
- Optional: Include an apparel file with a transparent background (PNG or TIFF)
Your Design Shouldn’t:
- Include urls or logos (small artist signatures are fine)
- Use copyrighted images or images that don't belong to you. All images you use should be your own, or available under a creative commons or other similar license.
- Include negative or cliched 60s imagery like mushroom clouds, peace signs, sunflowers or doves
- Read as the letter "O" (as opposed to the number)